You know you are a mom of a toddler when you dread a rainy day. Especially, in the spring when you have had several days of beautiful weather to play outside. I am just so grateful that I live in the time of Pinterest! There are so many great ideas to help entertain your energetic toddler on a gloomy, spring day. Today I am sharing our favorites.
1. Cloud Dough – This stuff is so cool! It feels like silky, sand and it holds its form when you squeeze it in your hand or into a container. I found this recipe that just uses two ingredients: flour and coconut oil. You can add food coloring, but I decided not to. Ada loved it and it entertained her forever! She loved using her Easter eggs and other kitchen utensils to scoop the dough into. It was a little messy, but we have a large quilt that we use to let her play on, so it helped contained some of the mess.
Ada, of course, tried eating it, but only took one bite before realizing it wasn’t very tasty. That is also why I used coconut oil instead of baby oil.
She was covered in the dough, but she was happy & just look how cute she looks with that messy face! 😉
2. Swing: Randy and I just got Ada a swing… I know, took us long enough! She loves this swing! She could probably swing all day if I let her. We have two places that we can hang the swing. One on the front porch when the weather is nice and one inside for rainy days. I love having it inside because she can watch me cook dinner from her swing and she is perfectly content.
3. Whisking Bubbles/Pouring Station: This activity is a little difficult inside, but it is doable – with lots of towels! Today though, we were able to catch a little bit sunshine before the afternoon showers hit. I have also seen where you can use a large storage bin to help contain the water, but we actually don’t have one. (Weird, right?) With this activity we used a tupperware dish filled with water and some soap. I then let Ada use a whisk to create bubbles. She had all sorts of cups, bowls, and spoons to play in the water with.
She also had to sample the bubbles…. silly kid.
4. Coloring/Stickers: For rainy days, we will pull out our coloring & sticker books. I just started buying these for Ada, since she has just started playing with stickers. Her favorite right now, is this one. The reusable stickers are great and it has helped her with counting. I definitely plan to get more of these!
5. Indoor Picnic: To help bring some excitement to our days stuck indoors, we will have a picnic inside. I usually cut her food up into fun, bite-size shapes. Mini cookie cutters are my best friends when it comes to bringing some fun to Ada’s food. And sitting on the floor gives Ada the chance to play and eat at the same time.
Regardless of the weather, these activities are fun to do. But they are even better when you are stuck indoors and bored! 😉 What are some of your favorite rainy day activities?
Happy Friday ya’ll! I hope your weekend is sunny!